Friday, August 19, 2016

Working with Fine Yarn

Not too long ago, I was in a yarn shop and found this lovely yarn that I just fell in love with. I also got to see what it looked like when worked up and it was simply lovely. It was pricey yarn but I decided to take the plunge and buy one skein.


Of course, I wanted to start crocheting with it immediately. But I needed a pattern. I found one I liked but I had a good chunk of worked up when I realized, that no, this pattern wasn't going to work for me. There were certain things about it that got on my nerves and affected the overall look and I knew the end product would be nice, but would not be what I wanted. So I unraveled and started fresh.

And made my own pattern. My own very simple, pattern which I will share with you when the project is complete. It's the first pattern I've created, so it's nothing very creative, but it's turning out nicely so far. But this yarn is fine, and I'm using a 3.75mm hook. I don't normally work with such a small hook or yarn, I tend to stick to worsted yarn and fatter hooks. But even though I feel all thumbs I think it's good practice because I do want to learn lace crochet (which I started by the way) and the thread is even finer.


I have to wonder if I'm all thumbs not only because the yarn is fine and I'm not accustomed to working with it, or if it's also because I hold my crochet hook all wrong. Maybe the technique I am using doesn't lend itself as well to crocheting with finer yarn or thread. So I'm trying to re-train myself. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks though, and it's slow going at the moment. I'm sure it'll get better!

I haven't crocheted much of this scarf, but I've gotten a good start. and I'm loving the look of it so far. I think it will be nice in the cooler fall months, which could be right around corner for me here in the great white north. I like the look of it and the way it drapes, and the delicate feel of it. I think it will turn out to be a very nice accessory piece. I haven't decided yet if I'll add a boarder or fringe, but we'll see.

Stay tuned for more of this project! Pictures of completed project and pattern to come.


Happy Hooking,
Jewels

No comments:

Post a Comment